I also cleaned up our old park bench. Kris and I have had this old thing since we bought our very first home in 1999. We bought it new, but it has been dragged to 6 different houses, sometimes exposed to rain and snow, and it has survived! The cast iron was orginally a weathered green, but I thought it might look nice in black...because that's my answer to everything...black spray paint (ha!) I covered all the wood parts up with newspapers and painter's tape, and sprayed the iron black. Next I took all of the paper off and put several coats of redwood stain that we had leftover from our swingset on the wood parts. I was so happy about how it came out!
I also painted up a pot with our house number on it. I have seen these on Pinterest and just loved how they looked but couldn't figure out how to add the numbers without buying them in vinyl or hand painting them...but I had a brainstorm (which doesn't happen to often to me anymore) and decided to stick on scrapbook stickers and spray paint over them. Before the paint was completely dry, I removed the stickers with tweezers to reveal the previously cream color of the flower pot! I was excited to finally have a house number flower pot!
Hope you've enjoyed our front porch!