Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Tissue Paper Garland

Hi!  I am linking up to Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest! I am always so inspired by everyone's craftiness there!  I have been wanting to try one of the rag garlands or a wreath, but haven't been able to make it out of town to get fabric.  I was trying to think of something I could "try it out" with that might not be so expensive.  I thought about tissue paper, but wasn't sure I would be able to find a "muslin" colored tissue paper.  Then my wheels started turning and I remembered the adorable candy corn tissue paper I had seen at Wal-Mart...lightbulb moment!  So here are the steps:

1. Probably the most time consuming part of this project-Go to Wal-Mart and buy tissue paper 2/$2. I bought two packages.

2.  Unfold the paper and refold so that it fits in your paper cutter, cut 5 inches wide.  You can also cut with scissors of course!
3.  Stack two sections of tissue paper together and sew a straight stitch all the way down the middle of your tissue paper.  You can keep going with the next set of tissue paper so you will have one continuous garland.  I used three bunches.
4.  Cut into the tissue paper about 3/4" wide and almost to the sewn line.  Be sure not to cut your sewn line!
Then do the other side!
 5.  Then start scrunching and gently pull the little fluffies apart!
6.  Hang and enjoy!
The possibilities of this little craft are ENDLESS...you could use pink and blue for baby showers, red and green for Christmas, specific colors for birthday parties, etc!


2 comments:

MarytheKay said...

That is SO CUTE! I know my sewing daughter is going to LOVE this project...we'll have garlands everywhere!!!

Nichole said...

Great idea! Very cute too!

I love your GIVE THANKS picture also :o)